Tuesday, March 4, 2008

It's that time of year again, for the first time ever.

Up until this last year I had only worked under the table. The benefits were obvious and I always had a lump of cash in my wallet ready to blow on a latte or a new hardcover at the Strand. Well, with a hefty rent came a full time job and the responsibility to file taxes. That day came, today. Today was the most productive day. I woke up early and headed to Central Library with my ssn, proof of wages earned, and my state ID. After the three-hour wait I headed into the conference room and with the aid of United Taxes filed for the fist time in my life. Over this past summer I worked freelance for a non-profit. I earned non-taxed money and was expected to report my earnings to the IRS. That’s what I did and despite my now full time barista job owe $190. While all you jerks wait patiently for your sweet return I’ll be saving tips to pay my debts. After the disappointment I headed to top-pot and tackled my Fafsa. It’s been such a fucked up day of percentages and zeros. My only hope is that some day we can all live off the grid, run free, and master the barter system.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

barter system at kids cave: ian does an entertaining strip tease dance, casey puts more aa in the free box, schanen hangs an extra half hour, andrew makes delicious food, dale makes more kids cave art, carrie takes drags from all